The train station is the keystone of a multifaceted push for connectivity between communities within the airport corridor.
Our goal is to completely restore this historic landmark, and transform it into a multi-use events center and café, specifically acting as a waystation for bicycle tourists and other active users of the Ohio River Greenway Trail, which will run across 3rd Street, directly in front of the train station.
But we cannot achieve our goals alone. Find out how you can help.
Phase 2 is underway - pictures to come! In the meantime, track our progress by following our Facebook page, and check out the links to the media items below.
Project awarded generous Allegheny Foundation grant! On July 15, 2016, The Allegheny Foundation has awarded the Coraopolis Community Development Foundation a $290,000 grant to help renovate the historic Coraopolis train station. “We are thrilled that the work we launched last fall can continue, and are incredibly grateful to the Allegheny Foundation for this gift, as well as the hundreds of donors who have stepped forward to support,” said Shawn Reed, the project’s chairman. “We continue to believe that the station will be a centerpiece in the ongoing development of this great little town.”
More good news! Through the Ohio River Trail Project's Bicycle Parking Program, the Coraopolis Train Station has received five 'inverted-U' bike racks to form a bicycle corral on a sidewalk outside the station. We are so grateful for their generosity!
And a new partnership! The Trail Town Program has featured our project on their website! The Trail Town Program works in small and rural towns across western Pennsylvania and western Maryland, focusing on community and economic development around trail tourism and outdoor recreation.
Learn more... We were also recently featured on Pittsburgh's own NPR News Station, WESA 90.5 FM Essential Pittsburgh. Marcus Charleston put together this fantastic segment, which you can listen to below, or access on their website.
in the news
- September 2, 2016 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - "Coraopolis train station project steams ahead with grant"
- July 19, 2016 - Beaver County Times - "Renovation for Coraopolis train station awarded grant"
- June 30, 2016 - WESA - "Coraopolis train station revitalized through community commitment"
- April 27, 2016 - Trib Live - "Former Coraopolis train station in midst of transformation"
- February 12, 2016 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - "Old Coraopolis train station yields memorabilia"
- January 2016 - Allegheny West Magazine - "New Coraopolis history website..."
- December 28, 2015 - Beaver County Times - "Coraopolis train station project work continues"
- December 9, 2015 - Trib Live - "Renovations under way at Coraopolis train station"
- October 29, 2015 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - "Construction begins on transforming Coraopolis train station"
- May 23, 2015 - Beaver County Times - "Residents trying to give iconic Coraopolis passenger station new life via social media campaign"
- April 17, 2015 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazete - "Effort underway to restore iconic Coraopolis train station"
- March 19, 2015 - Trib Live - "Foundation makes online plea to preserve Coraopolis railroad station"
- May 14, 2014 - Trib Live - "Coraopolis rallies to save train station"
- February 28, 2014 - Beaver County Times - "Group trying to save Coraopolis train station"
- January 31, 2014 - CBS Pittsburgh - "Local pastor working to save old Coraopolis station"
Join with us, as we partner with our community to ignite regional growth and revitalization in the Ohio River Valley!
- Coraopolis Train Station Area Concept Plan
- The Ohio River Greenway Trail South Shore Connector Feasibility Study
- Three Rivers Heritage Trail Connector Pittsburgh to Coraopolis Feasibility Study
- Ohio River Brownfields Planning Project Borough of of Coraopolis, Project Overview
- Moon Township Riverfront Park Master Plan
- Allegheny County Sports and Athletic Complex at Montour Junction
- ACTA Pittsburgh Airport Bike Connections Map
- Tri-State Trail Initiative Map